Saturday, May 28, 2016

Quick Thoughts - WisCon

So I'm here. Kinda exhausted, tbh, but definitely here. WisCon, or as I like to think of it as, the one convention I can afford to go to. Drove down yesterday and had a rather full day.

First up: my first ever panel as a panelist. The Art of the Book Review. Quit interesting, but weird to be the only non-paid reviewer there. Also the only one very uncomfortable drawing lines of tradition and influence over stories and novels. I mean, I get saying that a story reminded me of something, but plops do I not really like talking about that in my reviews, unless I feel the story wants to bring other stories into its conversation. Still, I hope I wasn't too annoying to everyone.

Next up I sat in on the Hivemind panel, which was cool. Lots of ideas about that. I wish the science had been talked about a bit more. Oh well. Lots of cool things discussed. After that was dinner and a stop at A Room of One's Own bookstore. So much awesome! Want all the books! Have to save some money for the dealer room, though. And food? But books...

Then it was back at 9pm to be on the Baby Writer panel. It was great! Got to be real about writing and trying to survive. So many great people on that panel. Also got to say hi to people I know via the internet. Awkward turtle that I am, I don't think I talked enough, but it was great to say hi and chat a little. Thanks everyone who took the time.

We'll see how today goes. Am awake, and that's something. Hoping to make a full day of the con. And more books! Anyway, thanks for reading!

All the best,

Charles Payseur

1 comment:

  1. If you can only get to one con, WisCon is not the worst one you could pick! Glad you had a good time. I wish it wasn't always Memorial Day weekend, since that weekend is usually spoken for with family stuff.

    ReplyDelete